Following are some biographies of families who at one time or
another lived in Henry Co. Illinois. In some cases it is the parent, sibling, spouse or child who was a Henry Co.
resident so please read carefully!
D. R. GAFF
GAFF, D. R., proprietor of the Shenandoah
Republican, P. O. Shenandoah; born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania,
January 11, 1848. He lived in the county of his birth until twenty years of age, when he moved to Carroll county,
Illinois, and subsequently to Stevenson county, same state. In July, 1871, he came to Shenandoah, of which place he
has since been a continuous resident. He established the paper with which he is now connected in September, 1877,
having previously established and owned since 1871 the Shenandoah
Reporter, which paper he sold to G. W. Gunnison in 1874. Was married
to Miss Belle M. Miller, a native of Henry county, Illinois , in January, 1879. They are the parents of one child:
Source: History of Page County,
Iowa; Des Moines: Iowa Hist. Co., 1880 p667
REV. SAMUEL GOODALE
REV. SAMUEL GOODALE, Pastor of Grace Episcopal Church, Columbus, was born in
Berkshire County, Mass., in 1814, where he remained, living with his parents, until he was twenty-one years of age.
He graduated at Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., in 1836, having been one of the founders of the Psi Upsilon
Society, and a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society, of that college. He then taught school in Wheeling, W. Va.,
three years. He entered the Episcopal Theological Seminary at New York City, graduating in 1841, in which year he
was ordained at Providence, R. I. His first charge was as missionary near Syracuse, N. Y., where in 1843 he married
Miss Rebecca Kimball, who died at Kalamazoo, Mich., in 1850, to which place they had that year removed. She left a
son, Chester, now living near Ashland, in Cass County, Neb.
In 1852, Mr. G. was married at Wilbraham, Mass., to Miss Anna Merrick, a native of
that State. They have one child, a daughter, Josie, now the wife of V. T. Prise, of Columbus, Neb. From Kalamazoo
he went to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in 1853, remaining two years, then going to Geneseo and Rock Island, Ill., where he
remained until 1866. In that year he came to Nebraska, accepting the appointment of missionary along the Union
Pacific Railway. He located at Columbus in 1868, where he built a church, afterward going to Lincoln, Ashland and
Fremont, at which places, and at Silver Creek, he built churches. In 1877, he returned to Columbus, where he now
lives. He was chosen Chaplain of the Senate of the Eighth Legislature, serving most acceptably in this position
during the session.
Source: Andreas' History of
Nebraska, Platte Co, City of Columbus
THEODORE F. GOOLD
Theodore F. Goold was born in Kewanee, Illinois, December 25. 1877. His father,
Henry L. Goold, was Scotch-Irish and his mother (Florence Hurd in her youth) was of German nationality. The family
came west to Nebraska when Mr. Goold was ten years old, his father engaging in the stock business until
Mr. Goold was reared in Keith county, attending school there and later going to
the State University, from which he was graduated in 1902, after completing the scientific course. He was
associated with his father in the ranching business until 1906 at which time the Citizen's Bank of Ogallala was
established and he became cashier of that institution. His efforts, combined with those of his associates, have
made this bank a success from the start and it is now doing a good business. The deposits of this bank are
Mr. Goold was married in Ogallala, September 26, 1908, to Miss Jennie Smith, a
daughter of Francis M. Smith, deceased. Mr. Goold is a member of the Masonic order, holding membership in the Blue
Lodge at Ogallala and the Sisostris Temple, thirty-second degree Masons, at Lincoln, and also of the Temple of the
His father, Henry L. Goold, now chairman of tthe (sic) board of county
commissioners, held the office of regent at the State University from 1896 to 1902. He has taken an active part in
Republican politics and has been honored with positions on committees of prominence. His birth occurred in Yates
City, Illinois, December 26. 1851.
He lived in that city until grown and attended the Northwestern University, until
his health failed, when he went to California, where he spent three or four years in educational work and farming.
He went into the furniture business in Kewanee, Illinois, and also bought and shipped horses from Nebraska doing an
extensive business. In 1880 he moved to Nebraska, where he engaged in stock raising, in which he has been very
successful. He has a ranch of six thousand acres, some six miles southeast of Ogallala.
Henry L. Goold has taken a great interest in the educational matters of the region
and has been a member of the board of education in Ogallala. He helped to establish the experiment station in
connection with the State University while regent of that institution. He has been a great success as a farmer and
stock breeder, raising draft horses of the Shire breed and shorthorn cattle. He is an example of what perseverance
will do for a man in either east or vest.
Source: Compendium of History
Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska; p
NATHANIEL BARTLETT GOULD
The name of Nathaniel Bartlett Gould is on the roll of Henry County's honored dead
by reason of the work which he did while an active factor in the life of Cambridge and this section of the state.
He gave ample evidence of his public-spirited citizenship in his service as mayor of the city and of his
humanitarian principles in his broad philanthropy and liberal charity.
A native of Vermont, he was born March 31, 1827, his parents being Amos and Nancy
H. (Bartlett) Gould, who were likewise natives of the Green Mountain state. His paternal grandfather, Amos Gould,
was a soldier of the Revolutionary War, enlisting for three months, and was stationed on Manhattan Island at the
time that Benedict Arnold deserted the American camp, being situated about a mile from where Major Andre, the
British spy, was captured with the dispatches that Arnold had given him, making the one a traitor to his country
and the other a victim of his loyalty to his native land.
The maternal grandfather, Nathaniel Bartlett, was also in the Colonial army during
the Revolutionary War and was in service under General Arnold in the disastrous campaign through the almost
impassable woods of northern Maine. Their destination was Quebec, Canada, but they advanced no farther than St.
John's, arriving there in terrible condition on account of the hardships which they had endured in traveling
through the wilderness. The children of Amos H. and Nancy (Bartlett) Gould were ten in number, six sons and four
daughters, of whom five are now living; Judge J. M. Gould, of Moline, Illinois; Lyfe Y., a resident of Cambridge;
Amos, who makes his home in Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Nancy J., the widow of B. H. Burrows, of Andover Township,
Nathaniel B. Gould was reared in New England and having arrived at years of
maturity was married November 24, 1859, to Miss Mary J. Jennings, a daughter of Levi and Susan H. (Shepard)
Jennings. The latter was born on the day her father returned from the War of 1812. The birth of Mrs. Gould occurred
in Peoria County, Illinois, November 14, 1838. Her parents were natives of Ohio and were married there. Her
paternal grandfather was a resident of Salem, Ohio, and of Quaker-English stock. He followed the occupation of
farming as a life work and thus provided for his family. Both he and his wife, Mrs. Anna Jennings, lived to an
The maternal grandparents of Mrs. Gould were John and Elizabeth (Van Meter)
Shepard, natives of Virginia. They were slaveowners of that state and although they set their colored people free
the negroes all remained with them after obtaining their freedom, a fact which indicates that they were most kindly
and considerate in the treatment of the members of the dark race who were once their property. Mr. And Mrs. Shepard
removed to Columbus, Ohio, where the death of the latter occurred, after which Mr. Shepard came to Illinois,
settling in Danville. There he married again. He had six children by his first marriage and two by the second. Mrs.
Gould became the mother of two daughters: Nellie L., who was born October 20, 1863, and died at the age of fifteen
years; and Katharine M., who was born November 29, 1865, and became the wife of W. F. Hayes, by whom she had one
daughter, Katharine Gould Hayes. Mr. And Mrs. Gould also reared a niece, Daisy M., a daughter of Daniel Gould, who
became as a daughter in their household, and afterward married Edward L. Torbert, now a resident of Syracuse, New
The death of Nathaniel B. Gould occurred August 27, 1907, when he had reached the
age of seventy-nine years and five months. His was a long, useful and active life, crowned with honors and success.
He was regarded as one of the political leaders of this part of the state and took an active and helpful interest
in many measures relative to the public welfare. He gave unfaltering support to the Republican Party, believing
that its principles were most conducive to good government and keeping at all times well informed on the vital
questions and issues of the day. For a number of years he filled the position of chief executive of Cambridge, and
his service as mayor was of a businesslike character, in which needed reform and improvement played an important
part. When his salary as mayor was given him it was immediately turned over to some poor widow or person in need
and thus his official life proved a dual blessing to the community, to the city which benefited by his practical
efforts in its behalf and to the one who was the recipient of his bounty. He served in the office of supervisor for
a quarter of a century and for many years was a member of the school board, discharging every official duty with
singleness of purpose, actuated at all times by his devotion to the general good. He had the respect and trust of
even his political opponents and throughout the entire community was recognized as a man whom to know as to esteem
and honor. His philanthropy was one of his strongest characteristics. He could never listen unmoved to any tale of
sorrow or distress and his benevolent spirit found expression in generous assistance to the poor. In his business
relations he was prominent as the president of the First National Bank of Cambridge from its organization until his
death. Mrs. Gould still survives her husband and makes her home in Cambridge. She was reared in the Episcopal
Church, which she still attends, and is a lady whose many splendid traits of character have endeared her to all
with whom she has been brought in contact.
SOURCE: History of Henry
Submitted by: Alice Gless
book contains picture
WILLIAM EDWARD GOULD
William Edward Gould, whose life work has been an influencing factor in financial
circles in Kewanee and in this part of the state, while his sound judgment proves an excellent guide for the
conduct of important business interests, was born in Cairo, Illinois, December 6, 1867, his parents being George
and Anna (Clitherow) Gould. The father was a fruit grower, conducting a good business along horticultural
William E. Gould enjoyed the advantages of instruction in Oberlin College, after
mastering the elementary branches of learning in the public schools, and in his youthful days became his father's
assistant, which brought him practical business experience and gave him an insight into commercial and financial
problems that has enabled him successfully to manage complex interests at a later day. He first became identified
with banking at Toulon as a member of the firm of Dewey, Burge & Gould, on the 1st of May 1896, and there
remained until April, 1902. For the past seven years he has been connected with the Savings Bank of Kewanee, of
which he became one of the organizers, and at the same time he retains his interest in the bank at Toulon. Seeing
opportunity for further investment in business interests that promised profitably he became a partner in the
Kewanee Ice & Fuel Company, and also aided in the organization of the Fischer Lumber company of Kewanee,
Missouri, of which he is the secretary and treasurer.
On the 1st of January, 1902, Mr. Gould was united in marriage to Miss Harriet
Bates, of Kewanee, Illinois, a daughter of M. C. and Emma (Latimer) Bates, who are farming people of Knox County.
Mr. And Mrs. Gould have one child, Harriet Barodel. The parents are well known socially in the city, the
hospitality of the best homes of Kewanee being freely accorded them. Mr. Gould belongs to the Masonic fraternity
and the Odd Fellows Lodge, and his religious belief is evidenced in his membership in the First Congregational
Church. While he is preeminently a business man he does not allow commercial and financial interest to monopolize
his time to the exclusion of other affairs of vital moment, but one the contrary gives his cooperation to various
measures and projects for the public good.
SOURCE: The History of Henry
Co., Vol 2, H. Kiner, 1910, Pioneer Publishing, Chicago
Submitted by: Alice Gless
DR. JOSEPH GOYER
The latter gentleman was a native of Bartholomew county, Indiana. In 1826 his
parents removed to Putnam county of the same state, and in 1836 to Warren county, Illinois. One year later the
family removed to Henry county, Illinois, remaining until 1847, when the residence was changed to Bureau county of
the same state, where Joseph studied medicine two years, after which he attended medical lectures at the Indiana
Medical College of Como, for a portion of a term. He then went to Rock Island, Illinois, where he began the
practice of his profession. He remained there until 1853, then removed to Big Rock, Scott county, Iowa, where he
bought a store and stocked it with drugs and general merchandise, and practiced his profession for two years. He
then returned to Rock Island and remained there until 1859, when he went to California. He returned in 1860, and in
1862 enlisted in the Eighty-ninth Regiment, Illinois volunteer infantry. He was wounded at the battle of Stone
River, Tennessee, in 1862, through the left shoulder and right hip, being taken prisoner and re-taken in the same
battle. He was discharged in 1863 and returned home. In 1864 he went to Tomah, Monroe county, where he practiced
his profession until 1876 and from thence to Viola, Richland county, where he resided for a number of
Source: The History of Richland
County Wisconsin, Judge James H. Miner - 1906
OLIVER T. GRAVES
Oliver T. Graves, b. 19 Apr 1823 in Belchertown MA. Married Melissa Norton in Dec
1845 in Springville, NY. After 1850, they moved to Kewanee Twp, Henry Co. and had a farm. Son, Dwight Norton Graves
was born in Henry Co 27 Oct 1855. They had another son, Charles, and a daughter Elizabeth who died in Henry Co.as a
young child. Oliver Graves died in Schell City MO 23 Apr 1884. Melissa N. Graves died in Berkeley, CA in Sep
Original Sources not listed
Submitted by Marilynn Wright
GEORGE W. GREENWALT
George W. Greenwalt is one of the pioneer homesteaders of Custer county, Nebraska,
and has witnessed the development of the country around his home from the time he located there, nearly thirty
years ago, until the present time, and during this period the region of sod shanties, where the land was mostly
devoted to the cattle ranch business, has changed to a region of fertile farms and comfortable farm homes. He was
one of those who found it necessary at times, in the early days, to use a coffee mill to grind a little grain for
making bread, and when he came he had almost no cash to invest, but made his start in life by his own efforts and
did his full share, at the same time, to assist the general development and improvement.
He is a native of Dayton, Henry county, Illinois, born January 18, 1862, next to
the youngest child of John and Caroline (Goodman) Greenwalt, who were parents of four daughters and two
Mr. Greenwalt was the older of the two sons in the family, and the brother,
Daniel, resides in Kimberley, South Africa. An elder sister of Mr. Greenwalt, Mrs. A. R. Doolittle, lives in
Mr. Greenwalt lived in his native state until his eighteenth year, and June 20,
1880, came direct from Henry county to Custer county, Nebraska and began working on a ranch in order to learn the
cattle business, the country at that time being given over to large ranches. He became an expert cattleman and also
rode the Wyoming range in the same capacity. He has traveled extensively and crossed the continent four times, and
is well informed on a variety of subjects.
In the spring of 1883 Mr. Greenwalt took up his present homestead on the southwest
quarter of section eight, township seventeen, range nineteen, and has since lived continuously on this place. He
has developed and improved his estate and now has four hundred acres in this property, devoting considerable
attention to stock raising and handling a large herd of cattle.
He has been actively instrumental in promoting the welfare and development of this
part of the county and has served in various offices of public trust. During the years 1901-1905 he served as
He is unmarried and realizes to the full extent the difficulties of holding a
homestead under adverse circuimstances and pioneer conditions. He is one of the able and enterprising business men
who have done so much for the region and has given freely of his time and influence for the betterment of his
county and state.
Source: The Compendium of
History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska; Alden
Publishing Co, Chicago IL 1912
JOHN M. GRIMM, B.S., LL. B.
Among Cedar Rapids' prominent and successful attorneys must be numbered John M.
Grimm, who has been connected with the bar of this city since July 1, 1890, but has already made for himself an
enviable reputation in professional circles. He was born in Wethersfield township, Henry county, Illinois, December
21, 1866, and is a son of Charles H. and Catherine (McLennan) Grimm, the former a native of Germany, the latter of
Rossshire, Scotland. Soon after his emigration to America the father located in Henry county, Illinois, and later
came to Iowa county, Iowa, taking up his residence near Williamsburg, where he followed farming very successfully
until life's labors were ended. He died in 1873, at the age of forty-five years, and his wife departed this life in
1885, at the age of about fifty years. Of their two children one died in infancy, so that our subject is the only
representative of the family now living.
John M. Grimm began his education in the public schools of Illinois, and after
coming to this state pursued a high-school course at Marengo, where he was graduated in 1883. He passed his boyhood
and youth upon a farm, where he remained until he entered upon a collegiate course at the Iowa State University at
Iowa City. While attending that institution he cut short the college year, and for several summers engaged in civil
engineering, spending one season in Nebraska with the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad; one in Iowa with the
Illinois Central Railroad; and two years in Sioux City. It thus took him five years to complete the college course,
graduating in the class of 1889 with the degree of B. S. During the last year of his collegiate course he took up
the study of law, and one year after receiving his degree of B. S., in June, 1890, graduated from the law
department of the State University.
Coming to Cedar Rapids, Mr. Grimm formed a partnership with James H. Rothrock,
Jr., under the firm name of Rothrock & Grimm, the senior member being a son of Judge J. H. Rothrock, who was on
the supreme bench twenty-one years. After the Judge retired from that office, in January, 1896, he became connected
with his son and our subject in the private practice of law, and continued with them until his death, in January,
1898. The son was still a member of the firm until after his election as judge of the superior court of Cedar
Rapids, when, in January, 1901, the partnership was dissolved. Later the firm of Preston, Grimm & Moffit was
formed, consisting of J. H. Preston and J. M. Grimm, of Cedar Rapids, and J. T. Moffit, of Tipton, Iowa, with
offices at Cedar Rapids and Tipton, Cedar county, Iowa.
Mr. Grimm makes a specialty of corporation practice, and now represents the
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, the Illinois Central Railroad as local attorney, and the order of
Railroad Conductors of America as general counsel. In the fall of 1892 he was elected county attorney on the
Republican ticket, and entered upon the duties of the office January 1, 1893. He filled that position three
successive terms, and the county reports show that while in office he transacted more business at less expense than
any county in the state, giving every detail of the business his personal attention, keeping down expenses and
discouraging improper criminal litigation. He is a very able and efficient attorney, and his growing business has
given him prestige in the city.
Mr. Grimm has also become interested in several business enterprises, and is now a
stockholder and secretary of the Cedar Rapids Canning Company, organized in 1898, and a stockholder of the Cedar
Rapids New Telephone Company. He is attorney for the Cedar Rapids National Bank, and also for many leading fire and
casualty insurance companies and mining corporations of the city. He is an active member of the Commercial Club,
and a director of the Cedar Rapids Auditorium Company, which has erected a commodious building especially for
public meetings. He was one of the prime movers in organizing this company and in furthering its plans.
December 27, 1894, Mr. Grimm married Miss Orphea Bealer, a daughter of E. J. C.
Bealer. They now have one son, Donald Stephen, who was born January 27, 1896. Mrs. Grimm is a lady of domestic
tastes, who takes an exceptional pride in her home and family, and makes friends wherever she goes.
Mr. Grimm is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Benevolent Protective Order
of Elks, the Knights of Pythias, and the D. O. K. K. He takes an active part in the social features of these
orders, has filled all the chairs in the Knights of Pythias Lodge, and in 1892 delivered the address of welcome to
the grand lodge which met at Cedar Rapids. Being an orator of exceptional ability, he has often been called upon to
deliver addresses on Memorial day and the 4th of July throughout the county. He is a supporter of the Universalist
church, and one of its prominent workers, though not a member. Public spirited and progressive, he takes a deep
interest in all enterprises which he believes calculated to promote the moral, social or material welfare of the
community. Mr. Grimm has always been actively identified with political affairs, has served as president and
secretary of the Republican county committee and of Republican clubs at different times, but has never been an
office seeker. He is one of the most popular young men of the city, and owes his success in life to his
perseverance, energy and a laudable ambition to succeed.
Source: Biographical Record of
Linn County, Iowa; Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company,
C. H. GURNEY
GURNEY, C. H.; was born July 17, 1847, at Stanfordville, Dutchess county, New
York. At the age of ten he moved, with his parents to Henry county, Illinois. In the winter of 1866 he first taught
school, at Saxon, Illinois. In the fall of 1868 he entered Hillsdale College, Michigan, and, on June 19, 1873,
finished the classical course of study. In 1876 Hillsdale College conferred the degree of A. M. on completion of
past graduate course. January 3, 1874, he took charge of schools at Salem, Nebraska. In 1875 he had grasshoppers
“bad,” and fled to Illinois. July 10, 1876 , he was elected principal of public schools of Villisca, Iowa,
and remained four years in charge of same. On September 6, 1880, he took charge of Shenandoah public schools. On
April 3, 1878, he was married at Salem, Nebraska, to Miss Mary Abbey Rising. On July 7, 1879, May Belle Gurney was
born at Villisca, Iowa. His religion is to do right; his politics, tocast one honest vote; his social
creed, to mind his own business.
Source: History of Page County,
Iowa; Des Moines: Iowa Hist. Co., 1880 p668-669
J0HN A. GUSTUS
J. A. Gustus has spent many years in Nebraska and has passed through much of the
early history of the state, having met all the discouragements and trials incident to pioneer life. He has become
well known in Custer county, where he has a large number of friends.
He was born in Sweden, December 21, 1855. When he was seventeen years of age,
having received a common school education, he left his native land and came to America, spending some time in
Michigan. Later he joined an uncle, John Gustus, in Geneseo, Illinois, and there worked evenings as clerk and
attended a private school.
On August 24, 1879, in Moline, Illinois, Mr. Gustus was united in marriage with
Tilly Louisa Vangreen, also a native of Sweden, who came with her parents to America in early childhood. He was
employed in the works of the Moline plow factory and they made their first home in that city. In 1881 they came
with their two children to Omaha, Nebraska, and in the fail of 1884 they came on to Custer county. Mr. Gustus
secured a homestead twelve miles west of Callaway in Elim Valley, and made his home there until 1890, bringing the
land into shape for successful farming. Since 1890 the family have lived in Callaway and he is associated with the
farmer's Co-operative Creamery Company at that place. He served several years on the school board and has at all
times taken in active interest in the affairs of the community.
Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Gustus: Arthur C., of Omaha; Sophia, wife
of S. C. Waldron, of Custer county, has four children; Mabel, wife of Dan Pearson, lives in Callaway; Esther,
Josie, John, and Varner, at home. The family are well known in Callaway and Mr. Gustus is recognized as a
progressive, public-spirited citizen and honest and upright in his dealings.
Source: Compendium of History,
Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska; Alden Publishing Co,
IL State Marriage Index lists John A Gustus and Tillie Louisa Van Green mar Rock
Island Co 24 Aug 1878 (bio says 1879)