Following are some biographies of families who at one time or
another lived in Henry Co. Illinois. In some cases it is the parent, sibling, spouse or child who was a Henry Co.
resident so please read carefully!
JOHN TAYLOR HAMILTON
HAMILTON, John Taylor, a Representative from Iowa; born near Geneseo, Henry
County, Ill., October 16, 1843; attended the common schools and the Geneseo Academy; moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa,
in 1868 and engaged in the wholesale farm-implement and seed business; mayor of Cedar Rapids in 1878; member of the
Linn County Board of Supervisors 1882-1884; president of Cedar Rapids Savings Bank and director of the electric
light company; member of the State house of representatives 1885-1891 and served as speaker for one term; elected
as a Democrat to the Fifty-second Congress (March 4, 1891-March 3, 1893); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in
1892 to the Fifty-third Congress; resumed his former business pursuits in Cedar Rapids; member of the board of
control of State institutions; unsuccessful candidate for Governor of Iowa in 1914; died in Cedar Rapids, Iowa,
January 25, 1925; interment in Oak Hill Cemetery.
Source: Biographical Directory of
the United States Congress
Member of the Board of Control of State Institutions, was born in Cornwall
township, Henry county, Illinois, October 16, 1843. His father was born in West Moreland (sic) county,
Pennsylvania, and his mother at Antrim, New Hampshire. He received his education in the common schools of Illinois
and at the Geneseo Seminary. His first occupation was agent for a fire insurance company. He moved to Cedar Rapids
in 1868 and engaged in the sale of farm machinery, seeds and coal, and has been engaged in that business ever
since. He was elected president of the Cedar Rapids Savings Bank at its organization in 1883, and president of the
Merchants Savings Bank of Cedar Rapids in 1899.
Mr. Hamilton was a member of the House during the Twenty-first, Twenty-second and
Twenty-third General Assemblies of the State of Iowa. He was Speaker of the House during the Twenty-third General
Assembly. He was elected to represent the Fifth Congressional District in the Fifty-second Congress. He was Mayor
of Cedar Rapids in 1878, was Supervisor for three years in the early eighties, and was a member of the
waterworks trustees of the city of Cedar Rapids when he accepted the appointment as Member of the Board of
Control by Governor Cummins to fill the vacancy caused by the death of L.G. Kinne. He was reappointed by the
Governor for the term beginning April 5, 1908, and confirmed by the Senate. Mr. Hamilton is a Democrat in
Source: BIOGRAPHIES OF STATE
OFFICERS, Iowa Official Register 1909-1910
JOSEPH and JOHN C. HAMMOND
Among the highly respected citizens of Geneseo were Joseph and John C. Hammond;
two public benefactors whose names will be imperishable in the history of the community. In the year 1897, Joseph
Hammond donated to Geneseo township a fine public library, expending ten thousand dollars for the building and its
equipment. Subsequent to his demise his son, John C. Hammond, established and gave to the city the J. C. Hammond
Hospital and when his will was read it was found that he had provided a trust fund of over twenty thousand dollars
for the hospital and library. The gifts of father and son amounted to more than forty thousand dollars in
John C. Hammond was born in West Wardsboro, Vermont, on the 15th of October, 1837,
and departed this life in Geneseo, Illinois, on the 3d of October, 1908. He was the only child of Joseph and Polly
(Converse) Hammond. On the paternal side he traced his ancestry back to Thomas Hammond, of Lavenham, England, whose
son Thomas emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts, in 1634. The latter's descendants were renowned in colonial history,
Samuel Hammond, the great-grandfather of John C. Hammond, being one of the famous "tea party" whose acts
precipitated the American Revolution. He likewise aided the colonists in their struggle for independence as a
soldier in the Continental army. Peter Hammond, the grandfather of John C. Hammond, lived to attain the remarkable
age of exactly one hundred and two years and at the time of his death was the oldest Mason in the United States.
His wife, who bore the maiden name of Charlotte Holbrook, was also of Revolutionary stock. Joseph Hammond, the
father of John C. Hammond, was a public-spirited, upright and honored citizen, served as the second mayor of
Geneseo and held various other positions of trust. The Hammond public library building, which he gave to the city
shortly prior to his demise, stands as a memorial of his revered name. His life was one of great usefulness and
activity and in all of its relations he exemplified the beneficent teachings of the Masonic fraternity, of which he
was a valued member. In early manhood he wedded Miss Polly Converse, who also came of old New England stock. They
traveled life's journey happily together for almost sixty-six years and passed away within five months of each
John C. Hammond, who spent his early life in the town of his nativity, was a young
man of nineteen years when he came with his parents to Geneseo, this county, in 1856. For a number of years, in the
'60s, he conducted a grocery store southwest of the park but subsequently took up his abode in Mount Ayr, Iowa,
where he went into business and made his home until after the death of his wife. Soon afterward he returned to
Geneseo and later became connected with the Eagle Stove Works. For several years illness necessitated his
retirement from active life and he devoted his attention largely to the care of his aged parents.
On the 12th of September, 1865, at Tiskilwa, Illinois, Mr. Hammond was united in
marriage to Miss Eva Perkins, who passed away at Mount Ayr, Iowa, May 16, 1876, when a little more than
thirty-three years of age. One of the local papers said: "She was a lovely woman, of a sweet disposition and
winning manners, warm-hearted, social and intelligent --one whom every one loved. Although Mr. Hammond never said
much, the great sorrow of his life was in the loss of his beloved wife, and his heart ever remained true to her
Mr. Hammond was called to his final rest on the 3d of October, 1908, and the
funeral services were conducted at the home of Mrs. Ella N. Taylor on Monday, October 5, by the Rev. M. J. Miller,
the first pastor of the Geneseo Unitarian church, who also officiated at the funeral of the father and mother of
the deceased. His remains were interred beside those of his wife in Oakwood. The following is an extract from. one
of the obituaries appearing in the local papers at the time of his death: "We all know of his generous
benefactions, his gift to the city of the J. C. Hammond Hospital and its partial support for some time, and his
other charities--made so quietly and conscientiously. He was exemplary in many ways, a man of no bad habits, and
while not of a strongly religious nature, he was a believer in the Bible and carried out its teachings in so far as
lay in his power. Of a peace-loving disposition, he was loath to trouble those about him and during his long
illness was always striving to efface self and to say and do just the right thing. He was a quiet, unassuming
character but full of good cheer and kindliness to all, and he leaves many friends here that he made in his
journeyings who will sadly regret his passing. We who have witnessed his patience under sufferings endured for
years, knowing full well what the inevitable result would be, must feel that a wonderfully courageous example has
been given us, and while we regret that his life has been brought to its close, yet we ought to feel that his
release from suffering is a blessing."
Source: Kiner, Henry L., History
of Henry County Illinois, Volume II, Chicago, Pioneer Publishing
JOHN ROBERT HANNA
John Robert Hanna, who is overseer of the ten miles of the Illinois and
Mississippi Canal, from forth-three to fifty-three, and whose home is one and a half miles north of Geneseo, was
born in the township of that name, February 10, 1854. His parents, Peter and Mary J. (Cherry) Hanna, were residents
of the city of Geneseo where the father carried on a large trade in horses. There our subject grew to manhood,
receiving a fair education in the public schools. At the age of sixteen he began work on a farm in Geneseo Township
and then went to Iowa, where he spent two years, as he had an interest in a threshing outfit which was operated
there. Disposing of his property in that state he returned to Geneseo and engaged with his father in the horse
business, but the risks attached to the work discouraged his pursuit of it and in 1883 he joined the police force
of Geneseo, on which he served for seventeen years, or until in 1901, when he became foreman, in the employ of the
United States government, on the canal that was then being constructed. He was given the supervision of some of the
buildings and of some of the culverts and locks and of the excavation for miles along the route of the waterway and
then when the actual construction was completed, in recognition of the value of his services, he was made overseer
of the ten miles before mentioned.
In Geneseo, May 10, 1873, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Hanna and Miss Sarah
E. Morrow, who was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and was but two years of age when her father, Isaac
Morrow, came to Illinois. He was one of seven brothers who came to Henry County among the early pioneers and
swelled the number of her valiant sons who joined the Union Army during the Civil War. Two of his brothers died in
the service, but Mr. Morrow was spared to his family. His wife was Miss Jane J. McCracken in her maidenhood. Mr.
and Mrs. Hanna have had nine children. John Otis, who lives in Freeport, Illinois, married Miss Lydia Rose and they
have four children. Howard died in childhood. Daisy Pearl is the wife of Lenas Odstrom, a photographer of Geneseo,
and they have one child. Maude E. married Albert W. Krueger, who is a lock tender under Mr. Hanna. Bud H. is
assistant lock tender under his father. Robert Ray died in childhood. Emory C. is at home with his parents. The two
youngest children, Fred R. and Hobart Garrett, are also at home.
Mr. Hanna has always given his support unswervingly to the Republican Party for
whose candidate in 1876, Rutherford B. Hayes, he cast his first presidential ballot. With his wife he is a devout
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, while fraternally he is a thirty-second-degree Mason and a member of the
Knights of Phythias. In the former organization he has become a Noble of the Mystic Shrine and has filled various
offices. A man who gives his whole attention to fulfilling his duties, he has won the confidence of his employers
and of the citizens to whom indirectly he owes his time and efforts.
(would the person who donated this please contact me...I've lost your
The gentleman whose name heads this personal history was identified with the
agricultural, civic, and business interests of eastern Nebraska, a great many years, and was well known as a
prosperous and successful citizen. Ebenezer Hards was born in Rushville, Schuyler county, Illinois, October
24, 1844, and when ten years of age went with his parents to Annawan, Illinois, where he grew to
In May of 1864, Mr. Hards enlisted in Company K, One Hundred thirty-ninth Illinois
Volunteer Infantry, and was honorably discharged on expiration of his term of service at the close of the war.
Before his discharge, however, he was transferred to hospital service, and then became provost marshal.
On July 27, 1869, at Annawan, Illinois, Mr. Hards was married to Miss Melvine C.
Morris, who was born in New York State, but later moved to Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Hards made their first home near
Des Moines, Iowa where they lived until 1871, when they came to Merrick county, Nebraska, and homesteaded one
hundred and sixty acres of land near Chapman, Nebraska.
After spending four years on the farm they moved to Central City, where he engaged
in mercantile business. For many years he was one of the leading business men of the city, and was known as an
honorable and conservative business man who gained and retained the confidence of all. He was prosperous and
successful and retired from business in 1899.
After long months of suffering, Mr. Hards died August 17, 1902, survived by his
wife who lives in her pleasant home in Central City, surrounded by a large circle of friends.
Mr. Hards was a member of Buford Post number twenty-three Grand Army of the
Republic, of Central City, also a member of the Knights of Pythias. He was a public spirited man, one whom the
community could ill afford to lose. He held a high place in the estimation of all.
Source: The Compendium of
History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska; Alden
Publishing Co, Chicago, IL 1912
GEORGE W. HARTMAN
One of the finest homes in the town of Atkinson is that occupied by George W.
Hartman, who is well known not only in Cornwall Township, but throughout Henry County as well, as one of the large
stockmen and the most extensive peach grower. This position and all its advantages have come entirely through his
own exertions, for he was only eighteen years of age when he started upon his career unaided by any assistance from
his father. He was born in Chambersburg, Franklin county, Pennsylvania, March 3, 1859, and is a son of Benjamin and
Catherine (Deffenderfer) Hartman, both natives of the Keystone state. The father was born in 1806 and in the years
of his active life followed farming, engaging to some extent in the buying and selling of stock and in raising and
disposing of fresh vegetables. He died in the state of his birth in 1882, while his wife, who was born June 27,
1820, lived until October 20, 1901. They were the parents of seven children, all living: Charlotte, born June 18,
1840, now the wife of Daniel Gelwick, who lives in Pennsylvania; John W., born January 5, 1842, whose home is in
the same state; Samuel, born April 11, 1846, also of Pennsylvania; Daniel, born August 20, 1850, who lives in
Pennsylvania; Henry, born May 13, 1855; George W., of this sketch; and Chrus, born August 15, 1863. In politics the
father was a Democrat and with his wife was a member of the Lutheran Church.
George W. Hartman was educated in the little school of St. Thomas, near
Chambersburg, which was known as Gelwick's. He was eighteen when his period of studying was over and immediately
started in life for himself. For one year he worked on a farm in his native state and then in the spring of 1877,
came to Henry County, locating first in Geneseo and later in Phenix Township. For a period of five years he worked
for different farmers of the locality in the summer months and in the winter was employed in the coal mines. He
then returned to his old home for a year's visit, but as the advantages seemed to be better here he decided to try
his fortune in this state. In 1891, he bought one hundred and twenty acres in Cornwall Township, settled upon it
and made it the scene of his labors until two years ago, when he removed to Atkinson and has here lived since. The
many improvements which can be seen upon his farm are all the work of his hand and brain, the tangible evidence of
the success with which he carried on operations. He has acquired forty additional acres in Cornwall and one hundred
and sixty acres in Atkinson Township, making a total of three hundred and twenty acres of arable land, not to
mention the residential property, including a good corner on State and Main Streets, which he owns in the town of
Atkinson. He also operates a coal mine in Atkinson Township, so that his interest are many and diversified. His
first thought, however, is given to the farm, on which he follows general agriculture and on which he raises and
feeds a large amount of stock, which he ships to the eastern markets. He has ten acres on which are one thousand
peach trees, the largest orchard of its kind in the county, the crop from which in 1908 netted him one thousand
dollars, and in a previous year fifteen hundred dollars. In short, a man with several interests, he has made each
yield him the most possible.
When Mr. Hartman came to Illinois the first time, one of his early employers was
John P. Foster, whose daughter Nellie was but a child at the time. On leaving there the memory of her companionship
remained with him and when he felt able to marry he sought her and persuaded her to share his life with him. On the
6th of March, 1884, they were united in marriage and have now celebrated their silver wedding. Mrs. Hartman was
born in Cornwall Township, December 9, 1865, and is a daughter of John P. and Harriet (Browning) Foster. The mother
was born in White County, Illinois, in 1828, and was a daughter of parents who came to Henry County in the early
days, when the Indians were frequently seen and had given the name of Pink Prairie to Cornwall Township. The father
was born May 11, 1815, in Kentucky, but came to Illinois at an early date, and in Cornwall Township engaged in
farming until his death, which occurred in December, 1886. His wife passed away August 14, 1892, and like him was
buried in Grand View Cemetery, Cornwall Township. By their marriage, which was celebrated in 1844, they had nine
children, five of whom are now living: Rowena, born August 15, 1848, the wife of Robert Walever, of Moline,
Illinois; Mary Frances, born October 9, 1853, the wife of Ogden Tatum, of Oklahoma; William P., born October 4,
1857, who lives in Atkinson; Lenora, born September 5, 1860, the wife of J. A. Barnes, of Munson Township; and
Nellie R., now Mrs. Hartman. Politically Mr. Foster was a Republican and with his wife was a stanch member of the
Mr. And Mrs. Hartman have had seven children, all living in Cornwall Township.
They are Frank, born May 10, 1866, unmarried who lives upon his farm; Charles H., born April 8, 1888, who operates
his father's land in conjunction with his brother; Herbert B., who was born December 31, 1889; George H., born
August 7, 1891, who is in the high school; Flora E., born July 27, 1893, at home; Raymond R., born April 18, 1897,
a pupil in the grammar school; and Nellie R., born September 10, 1904, who is still the baby of the
Politically Mr. Hartman affiliates with the Republican Party and has held several
of the township offices. He belongs to the local lodge of the Woodmen, among whom he has made many friends.
Successful in his agricultural pursuits he has also attained to a substantial position in the financial world, for
he is a stockholder and trustee in the Savings Bank of Geneseo and has other interests of like character. Refined,
liberal and broad-minded, he has every reason to find enjoyment in his good fortune and in the beautiful home he
occupies in Atkinson.
Source: Kiner, Henry L., History
of Henry County Illinois, Volume II, Chicago, Pioneer Publishing
Submitted by: Alice Gless
William Haxby, who owns and operates a well-improved and highly-cultivated farm of
one hundred and twenty acres on section 22, Annawan township, Henry county, is a native of Illinois, his birth
having occurred in Winchester, Scott county, May 22, 1844. His parents, George and Rachel (Hadson) Haxby, were
born, reared and married in Yorkshire, England, and came to this country prior to the Black Hawk war, taking up
their residence in Scott county, Illinois, where they were numbered among the very earliest settlers. The father
had two brothers, William and John Haxby, who located in the same county in pioneer days, and the latter served as
a soldier in the Black Hawk war. In 1855 George Haxby brought his family to Henry county, and took up his residence
on the farm where our subject now lives. While a resident of England he followed the wheelwright’s trade, but after
coming to America mostly engaged in farming. He died in 1875, at the age of eighty-one years, and his wife departed
this life in 1870, at the age of about sixty-five. They were well known and held in high regard in the community
where they made their home. Eight children were born to them, namely: Mary married John Warten, of Pike county,
Illinois. He is now deceased. Elizabeth, deceased wife of William Warten; Jane, wife of George Otley, of Kewanee;
Margaret, who married George Patrick and died in Scott county, where he still lives; Rachel, wife of David Hilman,
of Luverne, Minnesota; William, our subject; and John, who died in Henry county, in 1884, at the age of forty-four
years. One boy died in infancy.
The subject of this sketch spent his boyhood and youth in his native county, and
attended its public schools. In 1855 he came with the family to Henry county, and has since resided upon his
present farm. He is a skilled agriculturist and in its operation is meeting with good success. In politics he is an
ardent Republican and has efficiently filled the office of school director in his district.
On the 18th of March, 1872, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Haxby and Miss
Evaline McGee, a native of Peoria, Peoria county, Illinois, and a daughter of John and Mary Ann McGee, both of whom
were born in Pennsylvania. Her father died during her childhood, and her mother departed this life in 1891, at the
age of sixty-five years. Mr. and Mrs. Haxby have become the parents of six children; Rachel, born June 7, 1873, is
now the wife of Andrew Rassusson, of Bureau county, Illinois, and they have one child, George; Ella H., born March
8, 1874, is at home; Lydia Margaret, born March 20, 1876, is the wife of Cornelius Dingman, of Williams, Iowa;
Ethel May, born July 18, 1878, Lafford, born April 17, 1881, and Robert Lee, born September 18, 1884, are all at
home. The family is one of prominence in the community where they reside.
Source: "The Biographical Record
of Henry County, Illinois"; The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company,
Submitted by: Tim Chambers
EDWARD P. HAYWARD
HAYWARD, EDWARD P., section 4, P. O. Farragut, farmer; born in Ohio in 1850.
Removed at an early age with his parents to Knox county, Illinois, where he grew to manhood. Educated in the common
schools and at Kewaunee (sic) Seminary and Abingdon College. Mr. Hayward was married in 1877 to Miss Emma Fuller, a
native of Henry county, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. H. are now members of the M. E. church, and have been from their
youth. Mr. Hayward has always followed farming as a vocation, and has a nice farm of 80 acres, with a good house,
barn, orchard, etc.
Source: History of Fremont Co
IA, published 1881 Iowa History Company, Des Moines
JOHN P. HEALD
JOHN P. HEALD, Clerk of Polk County and District Court at Osceola, also senior
member of the firm of Heald & Huffman, abstractors and real estate dealers, opening the first set of abstract
books in the county. The subject of this sketch came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871; took up a homestead on
Section 4, Town 15, Range 3 west, in Platte Precinct and was among the very first settlers in the town here. He
taught the first school in the precinct in District No. 7; in 1873, he was elected Assessor for the west one-third
of Polk County; in the fall of 1875, was elected County Clerk, holding the said office for two terms, and in 1881
was also re-elected and also Clerk of the District Court. Mr. Heald was also one of the original members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church Society of Platte Precinct, which was formed with only a class of seven members. He was
born in Washington County, Ohio, December 25, 1848; was married April 6, 1870, at Kewanee, Henry Co., Ill., to Miss
Sarah F. Pyle.
Source: Andreas' History of
Nebraska, Polk County, Town of Osceola
Prominent among the successful and enterprising agriculturists of Andover township
is Eric Hedbloom, who owns and operates a valuable and well - improved farm on section 25, whet he has made his
home since 1877. He was born in northern Sweden, on the 12th of December, I849, and is a son of Peter and Breta
Peterson, also natives of Sweden, where the father followed the occupation of farming until his death about 1860.
The mother came to America in 1876, and died at the home of our subject in 1881. To this worthy couple were born
eight children, namely: Peter, who came to Andover, Illinois, in I857 and located upon the farm where our subject
now resides, was burned to death; Jonas was drowned in Sweden; Catherine resided for a time in Kewanee, Illinois,
but now makes her home in Nebraska; Lars is living with our subject; Lena died in infancy; Betsy is now Mrs.
Nordstrum, of Bishop Hill, this county; Lena died in Sweden; and Eric. our subject, completes the
Reared in his native land, Eric Hedbloom is indebted to its public schools for his
educational advantages. In 1868 he crossed the broad Atlantic and took up his residence in Kewanee, Henry county,
Illinois, where he began work as a laborer on a construction train. In 1876 he visited Sweden, but returned to this
country the same fall, bringing his mother with him. He then located at Bloomington, Illinois, where he worked in
the coal mines for a short time, but in 1877 removed to his present farm, having purchased it from his brother's
heirs. It is a well improved place, having a good house and barn, and is under a high state of
In I876, at Bloomington, Mr. Hedbloom was as united in marriage with Miss Betsy
Peterson Berg, also a native of Sweden, where her parents, Eric and Catherine (Larson) Berg, still reside. Nine
children were born of this union and with one exception all are still living, namely Peter Emil; Ida; Hulda, who
died in 1880; George; Inez; Hulda; Oscar; Victor; and Alice.
In his political views Mr. Hedbloom is independent, and he has efficiently served
as a member of the school board in his district. He is one of the honored and representative citizens of Andover
township, and is highly respected and esteemed by all who know him.
Source: The Biographical Record
of Henry County Illinois, p 194
LEWIS HEADSTROM, Postmaster and real estate agent at Stromsburg, also agent for
the U. P. R. R., was born in Sweden, May 24, 1834. He came to the United States in 1856, locating first at
Galesburg, Ill., where he remained for three years working at the carpenter's trade, and then removed to Galva,
where he started a cabinet shop, and was also superintendent of Olof Johnson's farm for two years. He was married
in Galesburg, Ill.,in 1859, to Miss Carrie Anderson, who was also a native of Sweden. In 1869, he took a trip back
to the old country to see his friends, and when he returned be brought over a number of emigrants. In the spring of
1871, he was the instigator of the Scandinavian colony that came to Nebraska in the same year, settling in Polk
County, where the present village of Stromsburg now stands, the subject of this sketch being the founder of said
town and also laying it out. He made his home at Galva, Ill., until 1872, when he moved his family to Stromsburg,
Neb., and in 1873 was appointed Postmaster at that place, and also started the first store there.
Source: Andreas' History of
Nebraska 1883, Polk County, Town of Stromsburg
OLOF HEADSTROM, wagon and carriage manufacturer, Stromsburg, also dealer in farm
machinery, was born in Sweden, September 21, 1850, and here learned the trade of wagon and carriage manufacturing.
He came to the United States in July, 1871, first locating in Henry County, Ill., where he worked at different
kinds of work until 1873, at which time he came West to Nebraska and took up a homestead in Polk County, on Section
2, Town 13, Range 3 west, Stromsburg Precinct. Here he lived on the farm until the fall of 1878, when he moved to
the town of Stromsburg and started a wagon and blacksmith shop, under the firm name of Headstrom & Olson, so
continuing until November, 1881, when they dissolved, and Mr. H. started in business for himself. He served as
Assessor of Stromsburg Precinct in 1879, and is at present Secretary of Stromsburg town. He was married in 1879, to
Miss Jennie Falk, who was born in Sweden, and by whom he has one son--Fridolf Leonard.
Source: Andreas' History of
Nebraska, Polk County, Town of Stromsburg
JESSE W. HEDGES
Jesse W. Hedges, proprietor Capital Foundry, was born in 1827, in Orange County,
N. Y., and was educated at the same place, and after leaving school, in the year 1853, went to work in a foundry
for about three years, and then engaged in business at Chester, N. Y., until 1856, when he went to Burlington,
Iowa, and acted as manager for the Hawkeye Foundry, and in June, 1857, went to Galesburg, Ill., in the foundry
business until 1864, then to Kewanee, Henry Co., Ill., and purchased an interest in a foundry there, and in
1865, returned to Burlington, and took charge again of the Hawkeye Foundry, until 1871, when he bought an interest
in joint stock company of Burlington Iron Works, and in 1873, came to Lincoln, and established himself in business,
and was proprietor of the Lincoln Iron Works, which were burnt down in June, 1880, without any insurance, and in
1881, commenced business again, and is now proprietor of the Capital Foundry.
Was married to Miss D. Hulse, of Bloomingrove, N. Y., in 1855, and have six
children living--Clarence, Charles, Emma, Hattie, Harry, Bessie, and one deceased. Belongs to Iowa Lodge, No. 1,
as Master Mason; also to the Temple of Honor, Lincoln Lodge No. 1, as Financial Recorder and Past Worthy
Chief Templar; also, to the Social Temple of Honor, as Past Brother Presiding Templar. His wife is also a member of
the same lodge. His family are all members of the Episcopalian Church.
Source: Andreas History of the
State of Nebraska, Lancaster Co.
HENNINGER, GEORGE-Farmer, section 33, P.O. Mitchellville. Was born in Medina
county, Ohio, April 13, 1843, and after leaving there removed with his family to Henry county, Illinois. In 1868 he
came to Iowa and settled where he now resides. He and his brother now own 240 acres of land. During the war he
enlisted in February, 1865, in the Ninth Illinois cavalry, and during the service was on detached duty, and was
mustered out at Selma, Alabama.
Source: The History of Polk
County, Iowa; Union Historical Company, Birdsall, Williams &
JAMES E. HIBBARD
JAMES E. HIBBARD, dealer in agricultural implements, coal, etc., at Utica, came to
Nebraska in 1871, first locating in Lincoln, where he ran a brickyard for the firm of More & Crone for three
years, and, in 1874, he moved to Seward County, and settled on the homestead which he had taken up in 1871 in E
Precinct, on Section 10, Town 11, Range 1 east. On this he lived until the fall of 1878, then came to Utica, and,
in the summer of 1879, commenced dealing in farm machinery. In the fall of 1881, he added the coal trade to his
former business, and has since successfully operated both. Mr. H. was a soldier in the rebellion, enlisting in
1861, in Whiteside County, Ill., in the Eighth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, Company I, but after serving a little
more than one year, he was discharged on account of poor health, which unfitted him for further service. He then
returned to Illinois, and on December 25, 1862, was married to Miss Elma M. Fuller, who was born in Illinois in
1842, and died in September, 1870. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Waco Lodge, No. 80, and was married to
his present wife, Mrs. Mary A. Cain, of Henry County, Ill., in January, 1872.
Source: Andreas' History of
Nebraska 1883, Seward County, town of Utica
Note: his brother's bio spells the surname HIBBERD - can someone please let us
know which is correct??
Richard Hibberd is a contractor and brick manufacturer of Kearney who has won
place among the substantial business men of the city. His activities are of a character that contribute to public
prosperity as well as to individual success and his life record is an illustration of what may be accomplished when
determination, enterprise and laudable ambition point out the way.
Mr. Hibberd is a native of England, his birth having occurred in Staffordshire on
the 12th of April, 1845, his parents being John and Lucy (Baxter) Hibberd. The father was a hardwood lumber dealer,
but the mother's people were for many generations connected with the business of brick manufacturing.
Richard Hibberd acquired a common school education and afterward learned the
rudiments of the brick industry with his maternal relatives. When a young man of eighteen he came to America and
after looking to some extent for a location in the east he determined to seek the opportunities for a livelihood
offered in the interior. Accordingly he purchased an immigrant ticket to Chicago and thence another ticket to
Galena, Illinois. In passing through Sterling, en route to Galena, the appearance of that place impressed him
favorably, so he left the train, at which time he had but five cents in his pocket. He found employment as a farm
hand at twenty dollars per month and after working for one month he entered the service of General J. B. Steadman
in the secret service of the Federal army. He was not enlisted at that time owing to the fact that, being a
foreigner and resident of this country for but a short time, it was deemed unwise for him to have any legal
connection with the Union forces in case it happened that he should be captured by the enemy. For a year and nine
months he served in the capacity of secret service man and in January, 1865, was mustered in as a member of
Company B, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
Prior to this, however, he had done service in Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia, his
work often being of a most important and hazardous character. After his enlistment he went to the front at Dalton,
Georgia, and was employed at picket work along the route that General Sherman's army traversed the preceding year.
He ended his military career when mustered out at Savannah, Georgia, January 30, 1866, being paid off at
Springfield, Illinois, on the 9th of February. He had rendered valiant and valuable aid to his adopted land and
there has never been any citizen more loyal to American interests than has Richard Hibberd, who came to
America with the full intention of becoming a citizen of this country and not giving to it a half-hearted
The war over, Mr. Hibberd embarked in partnership with his brother, J. E. Hibberd,
in the business of manufacturing brick at Spring Hill, Whiteside county, Illinois, and there remained for a year,
after which he engaged in brickmaking at various places. In 1868 he and his brother purchased a farm in Henry
county, Illinois, and in connection with the cultivation of their land continued brickmaking for two
At the end of that time Richard Hibberd sold out and went to England on a visit.
While there, on the 28th of February, 1870, he married Miss Emma M. Gould and in May of that year returned to
America with his wife. For a time he engaged in brickmaking in Geneseo, Illinois, and on the 17th of April, 1871,
he arrived in Lincoln, Nebraska, where he remained for six years, doing contract work and also manufacturing brick.
He afterward lived at Seward and at David City, engaged in the same line of business, but in the meantime
homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in York county. In July, 1880, he came to Kearney, having taken the
contract to complete the building of the State Reform (now the Industrial) School, since which
time he has made his home in this city. For thirty-six years he has had more to do with the erection of
public buildings and business blocks throughout middle Nebraska than any other one man. The school buildings
of Kearney, the Methodist Episcopal, the Episcopal, the Presbyterian and United Brethren churches of Kearney, the
Odd Fellows Hall, the Masonic Temple, Kearney Hall and many other structures in Kearney, the Masonic Hall at Grand
Island, the opera house at Hastings, the main building of the Deaf and Dumb Asylum at Omaha and
numerous others all stand as monuments to the skill, enterprise and ability of Mr. Hibberd, who by reason of the
efficiency to which he has attained in his chosen field of labor has long ranked as the foremost contractor of this
part of the state.
To Mr. and Mrs. Hibberd have been born six children, as follows: John C, a
bricklayer of Kearney; Charles F., who is a bricklayer residing at North Platte; Elma B., principal of the Hawthorn
school in Kearney; Lucy C., who is the wife of L. B. Clark, of Lincoln, Nebraska; William E., a bricklayer of
Kearney; and Adelbert L, who is a practicing physician of Miller, Buffalo county, and is also a bricklayer by
In politics Mr. Hibberd is independent, voting for men and measures rather than
for party. He served on the city council for one term but otherwise has never sought or held public office,
preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs, which have been wisely directed and have brought
to him notable and deserved success. His labors have constituted an important element in the adornment of various
cities, for he always holds to the highest architectural standards and combines beauty with stability,
utility and convenience. Starting upon his business career in the new world with but a single
nickel in his pocket and today ranking with the most substantial citizens of central Nebraska, his record should
serve to inspire and encourage others, showing what may be accomplished when there is the will to dare and to
do. Moreover, his life record is an indication of the fact that success and an honored name may be won
Source: Buffalo County Nebraska
and Its People; S J Clarke Publishing Company Chicago 1916
Note: his brother's bio spells the surname HIBBARD - can someone please let us
know which is correct??
H. G. HIER
HIER H. G. Sec. 3; P.O. Bishop Hill; farmer; Ind.; Lib; born Hanover,Germany,
March 25, 1822; owns 700 acres land, value $35,000; lived in Germany 22 years; came to this country 1844; came to
this state and county same year and has lived here over 32 years; one of the earliest settlers; only one house
between here and Lafayette, 12 miles off. Has held the office of School Director and Pathmaster. Married Mary
Elling Dec. 1843; she was born Hanover, Germany, Jan. 16, 1824; they have eight children, four sons and four
daughters; lost two children.
SOURCE: The History of Henry
County, Illinois, Its Tax-Payers and Voters; CONTAINING ALSO, A
BIOGRAPHICAL DIRECTORY; A CONDENSED HISTORY OF THE STATE; MAP OF THE COUNTY; A BUSINESS DIRECTORY; AN ABSTRACT OF
EVERY-DAY LAWS; WAR RECORD OF HENRY COUNTY; OFFICERS OF SOCIETIES, LODGES, ETC., ETC. Chicago: H. F. Kett &
Co., 15 Lakeside Building. 1877.
Submitted by: Bonnie Wiley
JOHN D. HILL
John D. Hill, a farmer of the township of Munson, is the son of William T. Hill,
of whom a sketch is to be found on another page. He was born in Rappahannock Co., Va., March 19, 1843. An account
of the removal of the family to Illinois is given in connection with the sketch referred to, and Mr. Hill
celebrated his arrival at the age of 12 years while on the journey hither. He passed the remainder of his minority
on the farm in Munson Township where he attended the public schools. In 1862 he entered the military service of the
United States. He enlisted in Co. C, 112th Regt. Ill. Vol. Inf., and remained in active military duty three years.
He received his discharge after the close of the war. The list of battles in which he was a participant are as
follows: Knoxville, Sanders’ Raid, Bean Station, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Pine Mountain, Eutaw Creek, Atlanta,
Jonesboro, Franklin, Nashville, Wilmington (N.C.), Fort Anderson, Kelly’s Ford, Dandridge, and many others of
greater or less importance. During the last year of the war he was the colorbearer. June 20, 1865, he found himself
at liberty to return to home and friends.
His marriage to Esther, daughter of Buenos and Sarah (Osborn) Ayers, took place
Sept. 30, 1867. Mrs. Hill was born May 14, 1845, in Hicksville, Ohio. Her parents are at present residing in
Geneseo, but they were then farmers in Munson Township.
In February, 1868, Mr. Hill bought land in Iowa, but he did not remove to it, and
later he exchanged it for land in the township of Cambridge, Henry County. Of that he took possession in 1872.
Meanwhile he was the manager of the farm of Mr. Ayers. After a residence of two years in Cambridge, Mr. Hill sold
the property there and bought a considerable tract of real estate on sections 7 and 8 in Munson Township. The
family have since been its occupants, and their residence is located on the west half of section 8. In 1880 Mr.
Hill bought the west half of the northwest Quarter of section 17 in the same township, and he is now the owner of
243 acres of good land under the best type of improvements. He is interested in rearing Hereford cattle. His horses
are of good grades and he turns off a large number of hogs from his estate yearly.
Mr. and Mrs. Hill are members of the Christian Church.
Source: Portrait and Biographical
Album of Henry County, Illinois; Biographical Publishing Co.;
Chicago; 1885; Pages 548-551.
Submitted by Suzanne Franck
JOSEPH C. HINES
Among the old settlers of Cedar county, one of the most prominent is the above.
Not only is he noticeable because of his long residence in the county, but also because he is one of those
progressive and aggressive citizens, whose perseverance, integrity, industry, thrift and economy have added so much
to the natural wealth of the state, and have contributed so much to its development and growth.
Mr. Hines is a native of New York state, and was born there in 1832, the son of
Joseph C. and Mary Hines. The father died when the subscriber was but a small boy and the bringing up of the little
family devolved upon the mother.
Mr. Hines remained in New York state with his mother until 1857, when he fell a
victim to the "western fever" and came to Illinois, which was then one of the western states, locating at Geneseo
in Henry county. He remained in this state until 1875, when he again pushed westward and came to Cedar county,
Nebraska, and bought his present home.
This was in the early days of the settlement of Nebraska, and deer and antelope
were quite plentiful. The nearest market at time was Yankton, Dakota. When Mr. built his first pioneer cabin, the
cottonwood lumber was hauled a considerable distance, from Jones' mill.
Mr. Hines suffered all the usual vicissitudes of an early settler's life, and it
probably seemed had even more than his share of the prevailing misfortunes. The very first year of his residence in
Cedar county, the grasshoppers took every bit of his crops, thus making it necessary for him to start anew the next
year. Prairie fires were of common occurrence, and many times Mr. Hines and his family were compelled to fight the
fire for hours in order to insure the safety of their little home. Even as late as 1894, all crops were a failure
owing to the prevalence of hot, dry winds, which destroyed everything growing.
However, Mr. Hines was one of those persevering men who will never own to being
defeated. When crops were destroyed one year, the family existed somehow until time for the next year's crops to be
harvested. Improvements to the home and farm were added gradually, and more land was secured from time to time,
until at the present time, Mr. Hines owns about three hundred and twenty acres of well improved farming land, most
of it under cultivation. There is about ten acres of timber near the home, all of which was planted by himself. An
interesting view of the place appears on another page.
Mr. Hines was united in marriage to Miss Julia Frost, of Geneseo, Illinois, and
they are the parents of four children, all of whom are living except one. They are named as follows: Emma S., Eva
C., deceased, twins; Hamlin F., and William.
By reason of their long residence in the county, Mr. Hines and his family are
unusually well known. They have been prominent factors in the development of the community in all lines.
Source: Compendium of History,
Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska; Alden Publishing
Company, Chicago IL 1912
EARL L. HOLCOMB
Earl L. Holcomb, among the younger farmers of Valley county, Nebraska, was born at
Kewanee, Illinois, January 25, 1882, the elder of two children born to Charles Judson and Hannah (Lewis) Holcomb,
their other child being Mary P. Holcomb. The father brought his wife and son to Polk county, Nebraska, in the
spring of 1884, settling on a farm there. Mr.Holcomb died in that county May 15, 1906, and his widow and their only
daughter still reside in Osceola, Nebraska.
Charles J. Holcomb was born in Broome county, New York, May 8, 1850, and his wife
was a native of Illinois. They were married in Henry county in the latter state in the fall of 1878, their marriage
taking place at Coal Valley, November 2. (Sic-Coal Valley is in Rock Island Co)
After coming to Nebraska he was active in the affairs of his county and state and
became widely and favorably known. He was a man of rugged character and true worth, kindly and genial in manner and
having the gift of making and keeping warm friendships. He served five years as a member of the state board of
agriculture, was for a time president of the county agricultural association, and served as county treasurer of
Polk county from 1902 to 1905, inclusive. He was a successful farmer and stockman.
Earl L. Holcomb was brought to Nebraska in infancy, received his education there,
and was reared to farm work. He remained on the home farm in Polk county until his twentieth year, then started in
life for himself. He was married at Fremont, Nebraska, December 29, 1902, to Miss Lillie Sawyer, who was born in
Jackson county, Iowa, a daughter of John W. Sawyer, of Arcadia. They now reside on the southwest quarter of section
eleven, township seventeen, range sixteen, where they have a well equipped farm and a comfortable home. They have
lived in Valley county since December 1, 1906, and have made many friends in their vicinity. He is an energetic and
successful farmer and progressive in his methods and ideas. He is interested in the public welfare and ready to
promote any movement for the general good. He is a populist in politics and fraternally is a member of the Modern
Woodmen of America.
Source: The Compendium of
History, Reminiscense and Biography of Nebraska; Alden
Publishing Company, Chicago IL 1912
GEORGE JACOB HORNECKER.
George Jacob Hornecker, who since 1901 has lived retired in Geneseo, was formerly
actively and successfully identified with agricultural interests in this county for many years. His birth occurred
in Germany on the 30th of September, 1838, his parents being G. J. and Christine (Weise) Hornecker, both of whom
were also natives of the fatherland, the former born in 1808 and the latter in 1811. In 1854 they crossed the
Atlantic to the United States, taking up their abode in Qunicy, Adams county; Illinois, where the father followed
farming for ten years. On the expiration of that period, in 1864, he came to Osco township, Henry county, here
remaining until called to his final rest in 1884. His wife passed away in 1882, and both lie buried in Morristown.
Unto them were born eight children, four of whom still survive, namely: G. J., of this review; Fred, a resident of
Wichita, Kansas; Caroline, the wife of Jacob Ernst, of California; and Martin, living in Cambridge,
G. J. Hornecker, who obtained his education in the schools of his native land, was
sixteen years of age when he accompanied his parents on their emigration to the new world. He remained under the
parental roof until twenty-six years of age and then started out in life as an agriculturist on his own account,
being first engaged in the operation of rented land for a few years. In 1872 he bought a tract of land in Western
township and four or five years later took up his abode on a farm of two hundred and forty acres which he bad
purchased in Osco township and which still remains in his possession. He placed many substantial improvement on the
property and brought the fields under a high state of cultivation, successfully carrying on his farming interests
until 1901, since which time he has lived retired at Geneseo.
On the 22d of February, 1865, Mr. Hornecker was united in marriage to Miss
Catherine Ernst, whose birth occurred in Germany in 1849, her parents being Jacob and Catherine Ernst, also natives
of that country. They came to the United States about the year 1862, locating in Henry county, Illinois, where
their remaining days were spent. They reared a family of seven children, four of whom are yet living, as follows:
George, a resident of Geneseo; and Martin, William and John, all of whom make their home in California.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hornecker were born nine children, seven of whom still survive.
Catherine, the eldest, gave her hand in marriage to Lewis Koch in 1889 and remained a resident of Osco township
until she passed away on the 7th of September, 1897, when twenty-eight years of age. She was the mother of two
children, namely: Alfred H., now sixteen years of age; and Laura Catherine, born September 4, 1897, who lives with
her grandfather, Mr. Hornecker of this review. Emma, residing in Osco township, is the wife of Lewis Blank, by whom
she has the following children: Freda, Clyde D., Violet, Viola and Lee. Edward H., who lives on his father's farm
in Osco township, wedded Miss Theresa Hamann and has three children: George H., Lydia Ida and Earl E. George, a
resident of Geneseo, married Miss Clara Willie, by whom he has five children: Laura, Martin, Robert, Rhinehart and
George. Ida, who makes her home in Cambridge, is the wife of Frank Hadley and the mother of two children-Mildred
and Gilbert. William, a resident of Geneseo, married Miss Molly Pinks and has one child, Helen. Rose makes her home
with her father in Geneseo. Frank, who wedded Miss Bessie Rubeck, is likewise a resident of Geneseo. Mrs. Catherine
(Ernst) Hornecker was called to the home beyond on the 2d day of July, 1899, when fifty years of age, passing away
in the faith of the Lutheran church. She was a gentle, kindly woman and her demise was deeply mourned by all who
Politically Mr. Hornecker is a stalwart advocate of the democracy but has no
desire for the honors nor emoluments of office. He was at one time elected road supervisor but declined to serve.
Religiously he is a valued and faithful member of the German Lutheran church and has held various official
positions therein. He deserves much credit for the success he has achieved and his life is an excellent
illustration of what may be accomplished through determination and energy. Having been a resident of this county
for forty-five years, he has a wide and favorable acquaintance within its borders, and in the successful conduct of
his agricultural interests has gained a measure of prosperity that now enables him to spend his remaining days in
well earned ease.
Source: History of Henry County
Illinois, Volume II, Kiner, Henry, L., Chicago, Pioneer
Publishing Co, 1910
FRED J. HOUGHTON
In the material upbuilding of Chadron and the substantial development of this part
of Dawes county, no present resident deserves more credit than Fred J. Houghton, who continues to be a
representative citizen. Judge Houghton came to Chadron when it was a village of tents and unsightly shacks,
invested in land and erected the first comfortable dwelling house in the block in which he still lives. With
practical ideas, he entered wholeheartedly into the business of development of this section, and for
thirty-five years has been a prominent and useful factor.
Fred J. Houghton was born at Woodhull, Henry county, Illinois, July 23, 1853, the
eldest of the three survivors of a family of eight children born to Calvin C. and Lucy E. (Johnson) Houghton. Judge
Houghton has one brother, Hugh, who is a resident of Hot Springs, South Dakota, and one sister, Mrs. Winnifred L.
Oliver, who lives at Packwood, Jefferson county, Iowa.
The parents of Judge Houghton were natives of Chester, Vermont, where his father
was born in 1816, and his mother in 1824. The father survived until 1874, while the mother lived to the advanced
age of ninety-four years. In many ways the father was a remarkable man, possessing business ability of a high order
and a spirit of enterprise that made him prominent and useful as a pioneer in Illinois, to which state he
went in 1848. He drove the whole distance and sold goods along the way, and when he reached Henry county,
Illinois, had capital with which to take up a large amount of government land. A man of sturdy principles,
throughout life he maintained his views in relation to slavery, assisted in the operation of the underground
railroad to assist slaves escaping to Canada, and when the Civil war came on, although not able to serve in the
ranks, was a liberal contributor to the cause. The land acquired so long ago in Illinois, is still in the
possession of the family. Following the close of the war, he engaged extensively in raising of cattle, horses and
Fred J. Houghton attended the country schools and then entered Knox College, at
Galesburg, but did not complete his college course because his assistance was required on the farm, and when
only fifteen years old, Mr. Houghton had the oversight of from fifteen to wenty (sic) men. He remained in his
native state until he became convinced that many business opportunities could be found in the great west, and being
particularly interested in Nebraska, came to the little railroad hamlet of Chadron, September 13, 1885. He found
here other men of enterprise and vision, and alone and in co-operation with them, soon put the aspiring little city
on a sound business basis and has remained here ever since. He opened a real estate office, subsequently adding a
general line of insurance, and has handled many thousands of dollars and has opened the way to a large amount of
the outside capital that has been helpful in building up many important business concerns
It must not be supposed that the early settlers in frontier towns, especially with
the type that came to Chadron, were so given over to sordid business that amusements did not appeal to them, and in
reminiscent mood, Judge Houghton has been heard to declare that the Fourth of July celebration at Chadron, in 1886,
was one of the most interesting he ever attended. The Indians in this section of the country were numerous and in
the main friendly, and it was to the interest of the white settlers that they should remain so. Responding to an
invitation to come to Chadron and have a good time, they came about fifteen hundred strong, and
Mr. Houghton was one who sat in the circle with them and smoked the pipe of peace. The town gave them a whole beeve
for food, and they assisted in the entertainment with their exhibition of dancing, foot and horse racing, fancy
roping, and even the Indian children showed their expertness with bow and arrow.
At Fairfield, Iowa, on September 8, 1879, Mr. Houghton was united in marriage to
Miss Margaret R. Berm, who died August 9, 1898. Her parents were Alexander P. and Phebe (Couger) Berm, residents of
Iowa but natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. Three children were born to this marriage, as follows:
Inez M., who died April 20, 1920; Hugh Manly, who was accidently (sic) killed in the railroad yards at Chadron, and
a babe that died unnamed.
After locating at Chadron Mr. Houghton soon recognized the advisability of
acquiring a knowledge of law, therefore applied himself to its study in the office of E. S. Ricker, and in 1889,
was admitted to the bar. While he has found it helpful in his business, he has never engaged in the practice of his
profession, although his knowledge has contributed much to the soundness of his opinions in his many years of
official life. A Republican in politics, on that ticket he was elected in early days city attorney and served
several terms, afterward was city clerk for seven successive years, following which he was police judge for a long
period, and subsequently, as long as he consented to serve, was a justice of the peace. He has always been actuated
by patriotic motives and has never failed in his devotion to the welfare of Chadron. He and daughter were members
of the Episcopal Church.
Source: History of Western
Nebraska and It's People, Grant L. Shumway, Western Publishing
and Engraving Co; 1921; vol III; 498-499
HOWARD, Henry, merchant, P. O., Grant; born in Kewanee, Henry County, Illinois,
March 16, 1840, and was the third white male child born in that county. Was raised there, attending school and
teaching until he went into the army. Mr. Howard was educated in the common school and at Knox College, Galesburg,
Illinois, and Oberlin College, Ohio, attending at Oberlin College, from 1859 to 1861, when he enlisted in the army
with a company of students, Company C, 7th Ohio Infantry. Was captured August 26, 1861, at Cross Lanes, in West
Virginia, and was released June, 1862. When captured was taken to Richmond, then to New Orleans, then to Salisbury,
North Carolina, then ordered to parole camp at Columbus, then detailed as clerk in military commander's office,
where he remained until he was discharged, April 9, 1863. After his discharge he remained at home but a few days,
going south again to Helena, Arkansas, in quartermaster's department, remaining there until August, 1864. During
this time he and his wife were at the battle fought at Helena, July 4, 1863. From Helena he went to Nashville,
Tennessee, and was employed in the auditor's office, of military division of the Tennessee, remaining there until
November, 1866, when the railroads were transferred back to their respective companies, and he returned home. In
May, 1867, moved to Blakesburg, Wapello County, Iowa, engaging in farming and stock dealing, following that for
three years; then moved to Lincoln, Nebraska, and engaged in farming for six months, then returned to Mills County,
Iowa, and engaged in school teaching for six months, and then to Red Oak, Iowa, March 20, 1871, dairying and
farming for two years, and in the fall of 1873 was elected auditor of Montgomery County, which office he filled for
four years, then moved to Milford and engaged in merchandising, as a member of the firm of Smith &
Mr. Howard landed in Montgomery County with but ten dollars. He now has a good
paying business and enjoys the confidence of citizens of his town. Mr. H. is a leading Mason, and at this time is
master of the lodge at Milford. He was married December 25, 1862, to Miss Amanda V. Reiff, a native of Norristown,
Pennsylvania. They have six children: Henry and Sullivan, twins; Elizabeth R., Nellie V., Clara, Mary N.; all
Source: History of Montgomery
County Iowa, 1881 Douglas Twp
SOLOMON O. HUBBARD
An honorable position among the pioneer settiers of central Nebraska is readily
accorded to this gentleman by every one with whom he is acquainted. He occupies one of the large and well-improved
farms of the county, and is greatly respected in the community where he now lives, which is on section
twenty-three, township nineteen, range fourteen, Valley County,Nebraska.
Solomon O. Hubbard was born on a farm, twelve miles from Jamestown and twelve from
Maysville, Chautauqua county, New York, July 3, 1842, and was the youngest of five children in the family of Samuel
and Eunice (Conklin) Hubbard, who had four sons and one daughter. Mr. Hubbard is the only living member of the
The father, mother and family moved from New York to Knox county, Illinois,
January 1, 1854, going overland by team. They remained in Knox county for about five years, then moved across the
line to Henry county, near Galva.
Mr. Hubbard enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois Volunteer
Infantry, August 15, 1862, and received his honorable discharge, June 20, 1865, being corporal of his company at
the time. He was with Major General A. E. Burnsides, with Major General J. M. Scofield in Kentucky and Tennessee,
and with Major General W. T. Sherman as far as Atlanta, and at the close of the war with Major General George H.
Thomas, holding Hood in check at the west. He participated in one hundred and ten skirmishes and twenty-five
general engagements. He was in the battles at Monticello and Richmond, in Kentucky; Calhoun, Philadelphia, Campbell
Station, Knoxville, Bean Station, Dandridge, Kelly Ford, Muddy Creek and Nashville, in Tennesse; at Resaca, New
Hope, Kenesaw Mountain and Atlanta, in Georgia; at Fort Anderson, Wellington and other North Carolina
After his discharge, Mr. Hubbard returned to Henry county, Illinois, but remained
here only about a year, when he moved to Iowa, where he lived until 1870, in Scott and Powishiek
Mr. Hubbard was married to Miss Celestia Slaughter, September 5, 1866, and in the
fall of 1870, with his wife and daughter, Grace, moved to the vicinity of Exeter and Geneva, in Fillmore county,
Nebraska, driving overland by team. He filed on a homestead in this county in 1871, remaining until 1901, following
farming and stock-raising. He came to Valley county in the fall of 1901, and purchased the west half of the
northeast quarter and the east half of the northwest quarter of section twenty-three, township nineteen, range
fourteen, which remains the home place to this date. A fine nine-room house was constructed in 1911, a dwelling in
strong contrast with the sod dugout that was the family residence the first few years.
Mrs. Hubbard died in Fillmore county, May 29, 1887, deeply mourned by many friends
and her husband and family. Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard had six children born to them: Grace Lillian, wife of Tom
Lancaster, who has eight children, and resides near Ord, Nebraska; Martin J.; Elma and Nettie, both of whom are
deceased; George W., who is married, has two children, and lives on a farm near his father, and Myrtle Celestia,
who was married to Joseph Stanton at Grand Island, March 14, 1905, lives on section thirty-two, township twenty,
range thirteen, they have two children, William G. and Elma Myrtle.
Mr. Hubbard has made several pioneer moves into new country by the overland route,
and assisted in developing new territory. He is a self-made man, who has had a wide and varied experience, a man
honored and respected. He remembers a number of the memorable blizzards of the early days, and saw deer and
antelope while living in Fillmore county, at which time a few buffalo were killed along the Republican
Mr. Hubbard is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
Source: The Compendium of
History, Reminiscence and Biography of Nebraska; Alden
Publishing Co, Chicago IL 1912
NELS G. HULTINE
HULTINE, N. G. born in 1842 Sweden . He learned the carpenter trade which he
followed for several years. Seeking to better his condition he sought a home in the west. He arrived in Henry
county, Illinois , in 1870; came to Page county in 1879, where he owns a beautiful farm. He entered into the
conjugal relation with Miss Caroline Hamelin in 1877. They have one child: Gustaf Adolf. Mr. Hultine became an
orphan when but four years of age. His integrity and sterling worth are well known.
Source: History of Page County,
Iowa; Des Moines: Iowa Hist. Co., 1880 Fremont Twp p
Note: IL State Marriage Records list bride as MRS. CAROLINE NEWMAN and marriage
date of 02/09/1878 in Rock Island Co
FREDERICK A. HURLBUTT
Frederick A. Hurlbutt, one of the most extensive landowners and successful
agriculturists of Henry County, makes his home on section 6, Galva Township. His birth occurred in the town of
Dalton, Coos County, New Hampshire on the 9th of November 1831, his parents being Alba and Laura (Osgood) Hurlbutt,
likewise natives of the old Granite state. The paternal grandfather, Nathaniel Hurlbutt, was a farmer by
occupation. He was born February 16, 1760, and died in New Hampshire on the 13th of April 1839. He was married
August 12, 1783, to Sabrina Green, who had also attained a ripe old age at the time of her demise. The maternal
grandfather of our subject, Levi Osgood, was likewise born in New Hampshire and followed farming as a life work.
Both he and his wife, Mrs. Susan Osgood, lived to a good old age. They reared a family of four children, namely:
Hannah, Laura, Caroline and Willard.
Alba Hurlbutt, the father of Frederick A. Hurlbutt, was a physician by profession
and in 1840 took up his abode at Truro, Knox County, Illinois, where he successfully practiced medicine during the
remainder of his life. He passed away in 1838, at the age of sixty-four years, and his wife, who was called to her
final rest on the 14th of March, 1871, was also sixty-four years of age at the time of her death. They had a family
of nine children, six sons and three daughters, as follows: Hubbard, Edmund and Nathaniel, all of whom have passed
away; Laura, the deceased wife of Leander Taylor; Frederick A., of this review; Susan, the wife of Alexander
Taylor, of Abilene, Kansas, Francis, a resident of Knox County, Illinois; Charles, who is deceased; and one who
died in infancy.
Frederick A. Hurlbutt, who was a little lad of nine years when he came to this
state with his parents, grew to manhood on his father's farm in Knox County. The father gave his attention to the
practice of medicine and left the active work of the fields to his sons. Mr. Hurlbutt of this review attended the
district schools in the acquirement of an education and remained under the parental roof until he attained the age
of twenty-eight years. On starting out in business life, on his own account, he purchased some young cattle, broke
prairie and engaged in general farming. He also bought a house and lot in Altona, which he subsequently traded for
a quarter section of land in Iowa. In 1858 he broke eighty acres of land in Burns Township, Henry County, for which
he had traded his quarter section in Iowa. As the years passed by and his financial resources increased, owing to
his untiring energy and good management, he added to his acreage from time to time by additional purchase until his
landed holdings now embrace one thousand acres in Henry County and one hundred sixty acres in Polk County,
Nebraska. When it first came into his possession, nearly all of the land which he now owns in this county was only
raw prairie, but he has transformed it into rich and productive farming property which readily responds to the
cultivation that is bestowed upon it. The property is all well improved and in one tract, though there were six
residences upon it and it is divided into different farms. Mr. Hurlbutt is likewise a director in the Galva State
Bank and is widely recognized as one of the most successful agriculturists and prosperous citizens of the
On the 31st of October 1860, Mr. Hurlbutt was united in marriage to Miss Caroline
Osgood, who was born in Coos county, New Hampshire, April 15, 1839, her parents being Willard and Mary (Perry)
Osgood. Likewise natives of the old granite state. In 1841, they took up their abode in Knox County, Illinois,
where Willard Osgood passed away in 1844. The demise of his wife occurred in Nebraska. Unto them had been born
three sons and a daughter, namely: Levi, Lewis, Caroline and Willard. The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Hurlbutt was
Levi Osgood, who was the maternal grandfather of Mr. Hurlbutt.
Unto our subject and his wife have been born nine children, the record of whom is
as follows: Edgar, the eldest, resides on one of his father's farms. Elmer, who also makes his home on that farm,
wedded Miss Effie Michaels, by whom he has four children: Earl, Marion, Edna and Van Nice. Levi, who resides on
another of his father's farms, has been married three times. He first wedded Miss Marguerite Sewell, by whom he had
two children, Leo and Marguerite; and subsequent to her death was joined in wedlock to Miss Pearl Crowell, who was
called to her final rest shortly afterward. He then married Miss Belle Murchison and they now have a son Frederick
who also lives on one of his father's farms, wedded Miss Winnie Hamilton by whom he has two children, Hazel and
Raymond. Charles, who likewise resides on a farm belonging to his father, was married to Miss Ethel Stanturf and
has a daughter, Elsie. Frank is still at home. Minnie is the wife of John Peugh and resides in Loup City, Nebraska.
She has four daughters: Gladys, Nettie, Zelda and Laurice. Jennie gave her hand in marriage to Frank Penny and they
make their home on one of her father's farms. Zelda is the wife of Hubbard Hurlbutt and resides in Pasadena,
California. The mother of this family was called to her final rest on the 31st of March 1905, when she had attained
the age of sixty-five years. Her demise was the occasion of deep and widespread regret, for she had an extensive
circle of warm friends throughout the community.
Mr. Hurlbutt gives his political allegiance to the men and measures of the
Republican Party and has done effective service for the cause of education as a school director, which office he
held for many years. Few men have more intimate knowledge of the history of this part of the state or have longer
witnessed its growth and progress than he, and he relates many interesting incidents concerning the early days when
this region was largely an unsettled district, the prairie land having been unclaimed and uncultivated, while only
here and there was a settlement to give evidence that the tide of emigration was flowing westward. He has now
passed the seventy-eights milestone on life's journey and receives the veneration and respect which should ever be
accorded one who has traveled thus far on this earthly pilgrimage and whose career has been at all times upright
Source: Kiner, Henry L., History
of Henry County Illinois, Volume II, Chicago, Pioneer Publishing Co,
Contributed by: Alice Gless
WILLIAM W. HYZER
William W. Hyzer, the subject of this sketch, is a native of Dutchess county, New
York, and was born September 3, 1836. His parents, Jacob and Elizabeth (Velie) Hyzer, were natives also of that
state. In 1841 the family removed to Cayuga county, New York, where William was reared to manhood and educated. In
1859 he located in Washenaw county, Michigan, where he resided nine months. He than returned to his native state,
and after remaining there six months, returned to Michigan, until October, 1861, where he enlisted in the 3rd light
artillery, which was afterward Company C, 1st Michigan light artillery. He served till the close of the war, and
from a private arose, until, when mustered out June, 1865, he held the commission of captain of the battery. He
returned to New York after his discharge, and resided in that state until the fall of 1866; he then came to Scott
county, Iowa, where he remained until the spring of 1867; he then resided in Geneseo, Illinois, after which time he
located in Erie, Illinois, where he bought grain for two years. In 1871 he came to Menlo, Iowa, and after one
year's residence there he moved to Atlantic, Iowa, and in 1873, to Casey, Iowa, where he was in the drug business
until elected sheriff of Guthrie county, in 1879. He served two terms in that position, and in February, 1882, the
present firm of Hyzer & Phillips was formed. He was married January 1, 1879, to Miss Almeta Cook, a native of
Iowa. They have two children--Mable E. and Ida B. Mr. Hyzer is a member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter, A. F. and A.
M., and also of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and Encampment Degree, and he is a member of the Ancient
Order of United Workingmen.
Source: History of Guthrie and
Adair Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill: Continental Hist. Co.,
1884 Guthrie Co